Research of the Department of Agriculture
- Promoting innovation in targeted research fields and cutting-edge objects in the fields of primary production and food, by strengthening collaborations with foreign and domestic institutions.
- Reinforcement of postgraduate programs, doctoral and postdoctoral research and their further connection with industrial research.
- Securing research funding from national and European research programs.
- Strengthening postdoctoral applied research in the agricultural sector, aiming at research excellence.
- Continuation of inclusion of excellent students of the undergraduate level in the research projects implemented by the Department. The Department implemented the first strategy of integrating the research in the undergraduate field of its best students by including them in paid research projects and in fact in research projects of the GSRT.
- Continuation of the interconnection of the research area of the Department with the largest food industries of the country and its productive tissue. The latest research projects are implemented with strategic partners of high scope and participation in the Greek productive becoming, creating an important link in both production standards and new production technologies.
- Development of innovative traceability methods of Greek meat, milk and dairy production, as well as the quality grading of meat and quality criteria. Development of research on issues of authenticity of production systems and food, as well as production of single-variety products of PGI, PDO or EPIP identity, through the use of new technologies such as MALDI-TOF MS and NEXT GENERATION SEQUENCING.
- Development of good practices specialized in cognitive subjects of wider scientific avant-garde goals for the Department of Agriculture of the University of Ioannina:
Carbon capture farming, Agriculture-Precision livestock, Animal feed with processing of innovative protein feed, with by-products or by-products of agricultural industry with enrichment technologies, natural feed additives, management and processing of agricultural residues biological or alternative production systems with water and soil protection practices, as well as grazing, green livestock production systems with holistic design and not only based on energy data, agro-ecological crop production management practices, crops and farms of high natural value, systems farming with a well-being and high well-being identity, sustainable production with reduced use of pesticides and antibiotics to protect biodiversity, preserve habitats and tackle microbial resistance, adapt to climate change and its mitigation in securing natural resources, in the production of personalized foods and functional foods.